Monday, March 10, 2008

Camp

Can you imagine taking a classroom of 30 plus 11 of 8-9 year olds on a class trip? Neither could I, but we did! First before I even went to camp, I took three of my students to swimming sports. That is a crazy swimming competition between the students that are 8 years old and higher in the primary school. Two of my students qualified for the bigger competition between Christchurch schools. Then we were off on a 2 hour trip to Hanmer Springs for camp. We built BIVOACS, which are survival huts that you build in the forest. It was an interesting experience, but also quite educational. Then we went back to camp and ate dinner and got settled in for the night! However, we went on a night walk, and the parents were told to go ahead and scare the kids as we walked past. Needless to say I had girls in my bunk who were afraid to sleep that night.

The next day, my girls found out that I snored! hehe! My allergies are getting really bad here, because no one has air conditioning. On the second day of camp we were to go mountain biking, rock climbing, and team building. However, if anyone knows me, mountain biking is not my thing. It hurts you!! But I was determined to continue on the journey of camp. Luckily I had a girl in my group that was afraid to go through the forest, so we turned around and just hung out at the camp. Rock climbing was not inside, but on actual rocks. It was a great experience for the kids, and I really enjoyed getting to participate in it as well. Our last event didn't go as smooth as the rest, because the girls weren't very good problem solvers.

The last day of camp, I was extremely tired and pretty sick from the allergies, but I was determined once again to not let anything stand in my way of tramping. Which of course is hiking! We would be tramping a total of an hour and a half up the mountain to a waterfall. I got a little winded on the tramp up, so I slowed down, and let my speedy girls go in front. I was at that time having a hard time breathing, because my airways were blocked. I got up to the waterfall about ten minutes after my girls did. We had our morning tea, took some pictures, and came back down. It was a great adventure!!

Overall, camp was pretty amazing! However, I couldn't imagine doing that in the states. It was quite an adventure! But I am glad to be back home! Well in Christchurch!

No comments: